Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Michael Manor Reviews In Her Service

Michael Manor founded, with his wife Lissa, the Qadishti Institute and moderates the discussions that are happening among many of the world’s contemporary priests and priestesses of sacred sexuality. I met mike and Lissa at the second Qadishti Fest, held at Our Haven in French Lick, Indiana. Because the qadishti of Babylon and Aphrodite’s priestesses in Greece were “kissin’ cousins,” I’ve learned quite a bit from the qadishti community and consider myself a part of it. When I asked Michael to review my work, I was very pleased that he consented.

Here is the complete review:

“This is a most laudable effort, well-balanced, highly introspective but also based upon history. The approach is one of confidence but not absolutism, authoritativeness but not authoritarian, and also accessible for modern Pagans. You will find something new in the old, something recognizable in the commonality of human experience, especially loving experience, but also something to the modern mind refreshingly innovative.

“I might offer an alternate perspective on matters Gorean (relating to an early comment on John Norman’s controversial Gor series), but the reference was non-judgmental and fit with the general scheme of the introductory chapter. I do not concur with the entire of Norman’s entire thesis, but recognize some biological predisposition toward certain characteristics and conventions of heterosexual relationships. I disagree with his notion that healthy relationships are, or even could be, based upon patterns of dominance and submission. In this, I agree with what I perceive to be this author’s general orientation on the subject.

“The bridge between the worship of Aphrodite and related Goddesses of Love exists in many areas: the eight-pointed star (the planet Venus), common iconography, some common titles and divine responsibilities, and the central issues of love, sex, and relationship. I would note that a central nexus may have been found in the Erycine sanctuary on Sicily, a place served in succession by Phoenician priestesses of Astarte, Greek priestesses of Aphrodite of Eryx whom the Greeks held to be Astarte, and also Roman priestesses of Venus Erycina whom the Romans held to be Astarte and likely later identified with Venus Genetrix, Mother of the Julian line.

“I applaud this work and look forward to reading more by this author. “

No comments: