Wednesday, January 30, 2008

me

She's the Greek Goddess of love, beauty, sex, war and the sea, and I am Her servant. She's called me into Her service, and I eventually learned not to play deaf. There's no ignoring Her, really. The Gods don't let you off that easily. They rarely say, "Do My work, but only if you feel like it, and it's not too inconvenient." No, no. They tap you on the shoulder and say, "I've chosen you. Come do this work." Ignore Them, and They thwap you upside the head with the handiest lightening bolt, anvil or frying pan and yell, "I said, 'Do it NOW!'"


Sure, you can reject a Goddess like Aphrodite, but She doesn't take that very kindly. Her authority as the Lady of love, beauty, etc. means that She can really screw you up in those areas. Medusa is said to have been one of Her priestesses -- that is, until she crossed the Golden One. Look what happened to her. Gorgon! I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in those repercussions. Curly hair and a withering glare can be hard enough to control. I don't need snakes and a truly stony stare, to boot.

Seriously, though. Once I heard Her voice and felt Her touch in my life, I started doing what I could to be Her servant. I've had very little guidance from other mortals, though I've been blessed in finding a few intrepid souls who also work with Aphrodite and Her antecedents (Ishtar, Inanna, Astarte, etc.). We are few and far-flung, though, we priests and priestesses of love -- or so it seems.

This blog is one of my offerings to the Kypriot. Maybe there are folks out there who will acknowledge Her call because they see a community of Her servants and devotees in the making. If I can, through this tool and other, raise the consciousness of a few people to the point where they feel Her presence more keenly, I will be pleased with my efforts.

This is an outreach project, so please feel free to reach back to me. I welcome comments and correspondence. And bookmark this page because I intend to write often!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hello! I saw you mention this link over at Thiasos Aphrodite, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi and let you know I was reading. :-)

L.B. said...

I too saw that post you made and have already bookmarked your page and plan to add your rss feed to my reader so that I can keep up with this blog.

It is true, Aphrodite's devout to seem to be rather far stretched but I guess that just means that we have to work harder as a whole to bridge the distance between us by spreading her gifts around.

Laurelei said...

Leandra and L.B,

I am pleased you ladies are reading. I hope you'll give me feedback. Conversation is a key for the emergence of Aphrodite's daughters and sons. =)

L.B. said...

I probably should've been more specific... I'm a priest of Aphrodite. Ya know... without the "ess" at the end. ^_^

Laurelei said...

Ha! Isn't that my luck? One of the rare times I manage not to be gender-inclusive, I botch it. =)

Well, many blessings, my brother-priest. I look forward to your insight and pespective.